What is a domain name?
A domain name is an identification label that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority, or control in the Internet. More commonly used as a web address for websites.
Picking a domain name
You’re ready to get started with your website or blog but you are looking for the perfect domain name but you need to find that perfect web address. Here are a few suggestions to help you to find the right domain name for your website.
- Branding – People will often associate a website by its domain name. Use this method to establish your brand online. If your website or blog is about you, consider your first & last name dot com.
- Keep it short – Keeping your domain short and simple to spell will help people remember it.
- Using keywords – When considering a domain name, it’s wise to think about using targeted keywords if possible. A website about garage sales may want to try to using the words garage sales within its domain.
- Avoid easy to misspell words – This one may seem like it makes sense but I see it often. If the word is difficult to spell outside of simple pronouncing then it may causing people to have trouble finding your site.
- Thesaurus – Using this tool can help you brainstorm for other word choices.
- Extensions – If available, try sticking with the popular domain extensions like *.com, *.org, or *.net.
Register a private domain
Each registered domain name requires information to be submitted to the WHOIS database. This information may be information that you don’t want to make public. When purchasing a domain you often have the option to make the WHOIS information private by using services available at checkout.
GoDaddy Domain Promo Codes
I’ve been buying and selling domain names for years. I own 100+ domain names that all require a year renewal fee. You can often avoid paying higher registration fees by using the domain registrar’s promo codes. I’ve been using the promo code “cjcwinner” (without quotes) for years. It drops the price to $7.67 for the first year. Once you’ve purhased several domain name through a service like GoDaddy, they will often work with you on renewal pricing to pursade you to continue hosting your domains with them. Each month I give my GoDaddy sales rep a call to renew my domains for that month at a lower cost.
Domain name can be taken as serious as thinking of a name for business so don’t go about it lightly. Get out the pen and paper to write down word choices, ideas, brainstorming ideas, etc. Then visit a site like GoDaddy.com or Network-tools.com to search the availability of possible new domain names.